Bonn — Top Areas Of Interest
- Top Attractions
- Nightlife & Bars
- City Map
- Museums & Galleries
- Theaters & Cinemas
- Webcams (6)
- Parks & Nature
The former capital of Bonn has so much to offer its guests — culture, sightseeing, shopping, nightlife, and great food.
If you aren’t sure where to begin, check out my below Top Ten list of Bonn attractions. It is the city in a nutshell.
1. Delighting In The Architectural Diversity Of The City
A walk around the center of Bonn showcases a variety of impressive architectural styles, from Baroque (Kreuzbergkirche) the to Romanesque (Bonner Münster) to Rococo (Poppelsdorf Castle). Your eyes will pop and jaws will drop at these stunning buildings.
- Learn more about Bonn Sights
2. Walking The Museum Mile
The city of Bonn has so many museums and a good deal of them can be found along the Museum Mile. From natural history to contemporary history, you’re sure to feel enriched and enlightened after a trip here.
- Learn more about Bonn Museums
3. Discovering The Legacy Of The Great Ludwig van Beethoven
Any visitor to Bonn will soon learn about the city’s favorite son, Mr. Beethoven himself. Whether you visit the Beethoven Haus, or attend the International Beethovenfest, or check out one of the many theaters where he once performed, Ludwig is inescapable.
4. Enjoying The Music Of The Beethoven Orchestra
While in the city of Beethoven, how can you not sit and listen to some of his masterpieces? There’s no better place to do it than at the Beethovenhalle, the home of the famed Beethoven Orchestra.
- Learn more about Bonn Theaters
5. Slaying Dragons And Evading Volcanoes In The Rodderberg
Visit this Bonn attraction, the Rodderberg, for a truly unique experience. The Dragon’s Rock is the legendary site of a battle between the hero Siegfried and this winged beast. And the small hill with shallow crater was once a mighty volcano, now extinct for 250,000 years.
If all that wasn’t enough, you can even catch a bird’s eye view of the picturesque surroundings, which include the famed Cologne Cathedral.
- Learn more about Bonn Parks
6. Swashbuckling At The Foil Fencing Competition
The world championships of foil fencing (swordplay with a specialized foil weapon) are held in Bonn. If you’re lucky enough to be in time for the tournament, you’ll be treated to some real-life sparring.
- Learn more about Bonn Sports
7. Drinking Under The Stars At The Alter Zoll
This Bonn attraction makes the perfect late summer night destination. The Alter Zoll is just beside the Rhine River. Grab a beer and sit under the trees and stars, all while enjoying the summer evening air.
- Learn more about Bonn Nightlife
8. Shopping in the Market Square
The Market Square offers many boutiques along a picturesque setting. It’s the perfect combination of window shopping and sightseeing.
- Learn more about Bonn Shopping
9. Strolling The Grounds Of Bonn University
The next best thing to being a student here is to take a walking tour of Bonn University. This Bonn attraction is the cultural and educational heart of the city.
- Learn more about Bonn Sights
10. Noshing On Sauerbraten At A Unique Bonn Restaurant
Bonn offers not only interesting food, but also some unique spots to eat. Take your choice of an historic brewery, a half-timbered house in the woods, in a famous nature park or perched above the Rhine River.
- Learn more about Bonn Restaurants