Cologne — Top Areas Of Interest
- Top Attractions
- Nightlife & Bars
- City Map
- Museums & Galleries
- Theaters & Cinemas
- Webcams (11)
- Parks & Nature
Cologne attractions are plentiful — culture, sightseeing, shopping, nightlife and great food. Depending on your schedule, it may be impossible to see and do everything. So if you’re short on time, here’s my personal Top Ten List. It is Cologne in a nutshell…
1. Partying at Cologne Carnival
The Thursday before Ash Wednesday is the launch of Cologne’s biggest celebration. Parades, beer, and masqueraded citizens are all part of these “crazy days” that culminate in Rose Monday, when the traditional peasant, prince and maiden make their appearance in a fun-filled procession.
- Learn more about Cologne Events
2. Seeing Cologne Cathedral
Once the tallest structure in the world (until the Washington Monument came along), the Cologne Cathedral is an iconic piece of architecture. It is the symbol of Cologne and its Gothic exterior will not disappoint.
- Learn more about Cologne Sights
3. Exploring Museum Ludwig
Cologne’s most important museum in the Bischofsgartenstraße 1 showcases some preeminent works of contemporary art, from Picasso to Warhol.
- Learn more about Cologne Museums & Galleries
4. Shopping on Hohe Straße and Schildergasse
Cologne’s famous shopping district will ensure that you don’t leave the city empty-handed. Be sure to pick up the signature souvenir of this town, Eau de Cologne.
- Learn more about Cologne Shopping
5. Taking a stroll through Volksgarten park
Cologne is a green city that hasn’t lost touch with nature. The large Volksgarten park is a refuge from the hustle and bustle of city life.
- Learn more about Cologne Parks
6. Dancing the night away in the Cologne club district
The Cologne nightlife is vibrant and always-changing. But be sure to check out some of the landmark clubs, Fifi Choo and Neuschwanstein. Stylish dress and a desire to party all night long are essential.
- Learn more about Cologne Nightlife
7. Taking in a puppet show at Hänneschen Theater
These sold-out events of puppets in everyday life situations are certain to keep you entertained and laughing (Hänneschen Theater, Eisenmarkt 2-4).
- Learn more about Cologne Theaters & Cinemas
8. Drinking fresh Kölsch in a beergarden
What is Germany without the two culinary staples of beer and sausage? Visit during the warmer months to take advantage of the outside seating in one of Cologne’s many beergardens. Or in winter, take seat close to a perfect match and start a conversation. In Cologne, it’s easy and fast to find your soul mate.
- Learn more about Cologne Restaurants
9. Rooting for 1. FC Köln at a soccer match
The home team of Cologne can be seen playing matches against their arch-rival Düsseldorf at their stadium, the RheinEnergie or Müngersdorfer Stadion in the Aachener Straße 999.
- Learn more about Cologne Sports
10. Cruising down the Rhine River
Get a new vantage point of this beautiful city as you float down the world-famous Rhine River in one of the many available boat tours. It’s an essential way to experience this magnificent German city.
- Learn more about Cologne Parks & Nature