Münster is an interesting, historical, thriving port city with lots of attractions. Here is my personal top ten list of your must-sees and must-dos in this vibrant place.
1. Beholding The Glory Of St. Paul’s Cathedral
A 13th century Gothic and Romanesque-style cathedral, St. Paul’s Cathedral has an astronomical clock with a daily noon performance of a Glockenspiel song. This Münster attraction sustained heavy damage during WWII but has since been restored to its former magnificence.
- Learn more about Münster Sights
2. Relaxing On The Shore Of The Aasee
At the Aasee, you can enjoy boat rides, swimming, sailing classes and other fun water activities. In Europe’s most beautiful park of 2009, you can stroll along its picturesque promenades, go cycling or inline skating and finally, end your day by relaxing at one of the many lakeside restaurants or coffeehouses.
- Learn more about Münster Parks
3. Spending A Shopping Day On Prinzipalmarkt
The Prinzipalmarkt features the best shopping and atmosphere in all of the city with its medieval colonnades and pedestrian shopping. Since the 12th century this Münster attraction has been the shopping center of the city.
- Learn more about Münster Shopping
4. Witness History At The Old City Hall
The Old City Hall, or Altes Rathaus, on the Prinzipalmarkt was the site of the famous signing of the Peace of Westphalia, which ended the 30 Years War in 1648. The City Hall was also damaged during the war years, but today remains one of Münster’s best sights.
- Learn more about Münster Sights
5. Traveling Like The Locals — On A Bicycle!
With an average of 100,000 bikers on the road each day and a myriad of tracks and paths to choose from, Münster has been named the most bicycle-friendly city in Germany. Münster provides 3,500 bicycle parking places, rental and repair, and even a bicycle-washing service!
- Learn more about Münster Sports
6. Tasting A Bit Of History At The Altes Gasthaus Leve
This Münster attraction is purportedly the oldest in the city, dating all the way back to 1607! Altes Gasthaus Leve features a great menu filled with local favorites and of course, the most popular regional beers.
- Learn more about Münster Restaurants
7. Taking In A Show At The Municipal Theater
The Municipal Theater (Städtische Bühnen Münster) has a widely varied program that features almost every genre you can imagine. You can catch an opera, a dance performance, a musical concert, children’s shows and even lectures and literature readings.
- Learn more about Münster Theaters
8. Experiencing The Send Funfair
This Münster attraction showcases over 250 performers and stall operators and about one million spectators. The Send Funfair takes place three times every year, with the Hindenburgplatz as the main venue.
- Learn more about Münster Events
9. Hanging Out At The Harbor
The recently revitalized harbor district has become a mecca for nightlife, culture and restaurants. Students flock here on the weekends (and at the end of the semester) to party all night long to the latest tunes at the city’s hottest dance clubs and bars.
- Learn more about Münster Nightlife
10. Exploring The Interesting Museum Scene
With such offerings as the unique Museum of Lacquer Art and the Mühlenhof Open-Air Museum, Münster has unforgettable museums. The Museum of Lacquer Art has superb samples of lacquer artwork from all across the globe. The Mühlenhof showcases an outdoor area of close to thirty historic half-timbered buildings and windmills from the 17th to 19th centuries.
- Learn more about Münster Museums